This topic focuses on how to prepare a research proposal and make a successful defence of it to the thesis examination panels.
Actions to be taken by the student
1. Things to do BEFORE proposal defence:
- Attend all Required Seminar
- IGS Research Skills Seminar
- Training in Innovation & Entrepreneurship Exploration (*TIE2) #Only for PhD
- Prepare six (6) copies of research proposal and send to College Head of Postgraduate Studies.
- Research proposal must be screened for plagiarism using Turnitin software. The similarity index must be less than 30%. The proposal must be attached with the Attendance Confirmation Form and the Turnitin Originality Report with both endorsed by the Main Supervisor.
- You are also required to attached (1) a copy of the IGS Research Skills Certificate/exemption letter and (2) TIE2 Certificate (for PhD student).
- Research proposal and all required documents must be submitted to the Faculty two (2) weeks before the DRP.
2. Contents of Research Proposal
Research proposal is a written statement of the research design that includes a statement explaining the objective of the study and a detailed, systematic outline of a particular research methodology. Normally, the research proposal for a Master/PhD degree includes the following key elements:
- Full title of the research
- Background of the problem/study
- Problem statement/Problem identification
- Research objectives/Research questions
- Scope and limitation of the study
- Significance of the study
- Literature review
- Conceptual framework (if applicable)
- Hypotheses (if applicable)
- Research methodology/research design/sampling/data collection/plan for data analysis
- Study plan/Gantt chart
- List of references
Notes for students:
- The suitable length of research proposal is different from one field to another. Please refer to your supervisor.
3. Research Proposal Assessment
- Title (5%)
- Problem Statement (20%)
- Problem Analysis – 10 %
- Justification and Rationale (Research Gap) – 10%
- Research Objectives & Research Questions (20%)
- Literature Review/Conceptual Work (20%)
- Organization of Bodies of knowledge – 10%
- Propose research framework – 10%
- Research Methodology/Research Design (20%)
- Method of data collection and analysis
- Sampling design
- Procedure and technique/experimental setup
- Significance of the research (15%)
4. Supporting Documents and Forms for Defence of Research Proposal
- Confirmation for Defence of Research Proposal
- Defence of Research Proposal Assessment Form
- Defence of Research Proposal Result
- Defence of Research Proposal Correction Verification
*please refer to the Download Section
Credit source: Institut Pengajian Siswazah (IPSis)